Weekly Vlog

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Dev Team

Weekly Vlog

Postby Adam » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Hey all! We've been incredibly focused getting a production version of Astrobase Command together so that's why we've been a little stingy on the updates of late. Eventually, once the production build gets to a point where we can start showing things off again, we can start gettting back into the swing of regular blog posts.

In the meantime, since we do our weekly meetings on Hangouts, we thought it might be fun to get community questions that we could discuss and record for your viewing pleasure.

Any interest? What would you like us to discuss?

Chief

Re: Weekly Vlog

Postby aunshi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:32 pm

How big an impact is having a full time artist on the team having on the project? Do you believe this could have made an impact during the kickstarter campaign?

How big an impact do you see science and technological progress having on game play? Will there be an almost X-COM feel to science and technology, where crew can start the game feeling massively outgunned, and the capture and analysis of alien technologies and artifacts leads to some game changing equipment coming available (Personal shield generators, cybernetic arms, Automatic Squid cannon etc.).

Will there be random crime on the station. Better yet could one of your crew members turn out to be a serial killer, with head of security or station psychiatrist investigating the crimes to find out who did it? Finding clues and evidence, (skill checks to find evidence piece Y, or successfully question witness for clue X). This might turn out to be rather complicated and a full game in itself, but i any game could pull it off it might be yours.

How animated will characters be? Will they hide behind cover, go prone or duck away from weapons fire? While I appreciate this can involve a lot of work to achieve it can often help to pull people into the battles.

I think a pressing issue a lot of us are actually wondering about is just how autonomous are you as a station? We know we can hire and fire officers and crew, but who from? A larger galactic body you are associated with? If this is supposed to be a last remaining outpost of your species, where are your new crew coming from? Just.... a little puzzling there.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 am

I would love to see a weekly vlog about Astrobase!

I think @aunshi's ideas all look pretty cool. The crime idea could be somewhat random, but could also be somewhat dependent on moral. Unhappy/poorly entertained crew may turn to vandalism, starving crew will steal food, etc.

aunshi wrote:I think a pressing issue a lot of us are actually wondering about is just how autonomous are you as a station? We know we can hire and fire officers and crew, but who from? A larger galactic body you are associated with? If this is supposed to be a last remaining outpost of your species, where are your new crew coming from? Just.... a little puzzling there.

I am also curious about the galactic neighborhood the game will take place in. Where WILL our new recruits come from? Will anyone be concerned by the growing influence of a new Astrobase?

Lastly: I've gotta get me one of them Squid Guns!

Chief

Postby aunshi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 pm

That's right, Aunshi's deep cutting questioning style strikes deep, with serial killers and squid guns!

I know i may have come across rather short in that last post, but I tend to be tired at the end of the day.

Thinking back on DS9, some voyager, Babylon 5 etc. some of the really interesting episodes have been murder mystery, even noir - like episodes. One of my personal favorites has been an early DS9 episode narrated by Odo (his log). A murder conspiracy surrounding traitors and war collaborators, an assassination plot, a deeply disturbed serial killer (men kill for sexual fantasy, women kill for profit, Vulcan kill because the victim smiled). This could be complicated to implement but I believe would be an excellent string to add to the story telling bow. Although imagine how pissed off you'd be at the murder of a promising and highly skilled captain.

Of course, pissed off crew members and visitors could very well partake in petty crime.

I suppose how your security forces deal with all this may well depend on who's in charge of maintaining station security. A more military minded individual might be good at making sure your security teams are good at fighting hostile soldiers, but might come down harshly on the petty crimes of your people, a potential disaster for moral and possibly leading to full blown riot. Also, the militaristic officer might be ill equipped to solve mysteries a more curious officer would be able to solve.

This is turning more into a suggestion thread.... back to hard hitting journalistic questioning!

The state of 'early access' games is a contentious and controversial issue in gaming (especially steam forums) with some games launching in barely playable and ultimately boring states. Others launch in relatively decent states, and do provide crucial financial support to independent teams. What will be the key features implemented in the early access build which upon initial release and how will these help get the public hooked on astrobase command in those crucial early weeks?

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:21 pm

These are great questions, keep them coming!

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:22 pm

@anushi: Can you put some of these up as individual topics in the Game Discussion forum? I think they'd make for some great conversations! I'd put them up myself but I don't want to steal your ideas!

A question both anushi and I have about the galactic hierarchy is covered in my "Astrobase Autonomy" topic (http://www.astrobasecommand.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=148), which I neglected to link in my last post. I'd love to hear thoughts on that topic from the developers and from the community.

Chief

Postby aunshi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:26 pm

I dunno man, seems like a lot of effort.... suppose I could copy and paste or something... but still.... effort.

Chief

Postby daselk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 am

Resource management
How in-depth is the resource acquisition system? I assume you can't build base modules from thin air and need to mine space ore or whatever then refine it. Will there be multiple resource types to produce different levels of technology?

Chief

Postby aunshi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Yeah some good information about resources would be cool. What are the different resources? how rare are they? Will we be forced to go without some resources in some games and therefore adapt our strategies to accommodate?

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:31 am

Thanks for the great questions, guys. These made for some really good discussion today. We're going to package everything up and get it out to you as soon as possible.

Next

Return to Astrobase Command Game Discussion