Daniel – @Polygonatron
This week I’ve been working on various smaller tasks. Improving the visuals a bit here and a bit there. Some of the things I did this week are already in the latest build, for example the new color scheme (and minor layout changes) of the Species Creation UI and the new sound effects in the Asteroid Shooter cartridge. Some things will be in the next build, like tweaks to all the lights on the station.
Adam – @adam_blahuta
This week I focused on integrating a bunch of scenery changes Daniel made to improve the variety and wow factor.
It will become clearer once some of our prototype code makes it into the build, but star systems are procedurally generated according to real data from our known universe. Star categories and what that means for size, color, temperature and whether or not a planet lies inside its habitable zone, are all accounted for.
Daniel has made smart use of that data in trying to reflect as many of the properties of the home system in the visuals as possible.
Max – @Max_Shields
I spent the past week dipping my digital toes in the sound design and implementation. I’m making boops boopier, and adding bleeps, and bops where they need to be.
Dave – @Dave_Astrobase
This week was spent continuing on the overarching story design task, but also putting some time into the legal side of the business, which is critical as we move forward along the release schedule.
This week’s patch notes for version 0.2.13:
– Changed home star category distribution for improved variety
– Improved star visuals
– Improved gas planet visuals
– Added terrestrial planet
– Added planetary rings
– Reduced scenery load time by 50+%
– Updated species creation color scheme
– Updated audio for Asteroid Shooter
– Fixed moon crater rendering
– Fixed home star scaling according to star category